November 27, 2006

Changes

Changes

Chp. 1



“Music blocks the pain that’s hidden deep down inside of me. If it weren’t for music, I don’t know where I’d be. It strengthens my soul, and mind. It’s a sign of hope, when I’m in despair. There’s nothing greater than to hear my angelic son’s voice, when I’m depressed. It’s uplifting.

I want to thank you Father for giving me the gift of music. It’s an honor to share this with people through out the world, and touch lives. One of the most important lives is my son’s. Music helped our bond.

Lately as you know, Father, due to my illness, which continues to come back we’ve been restricted in our time together.”

He rushes through the door, after school. His mom gives him a cookie, as she tends to the twins. He munches on it, and proceeds to me in the living room. He and I jam until suppertime. I hope that he remembers the great times we’ve had, as he grows older.

Christian’s calling me, so I better get going! Thank you, Heavenly Father."

Chp. 2

“Daddy who are you talking too?”
“I’m talking to God, like you do every night.”
“Daddy why are you sick?”
“I keep getting a bump in my tummy. Unfortunately the medicine doesn’t help it much.”
“Please, don’t go to heaven, Mommy and the twins need us, big boys.”
“I don’t plan on going there. It’s not up to me. It’s up to God. I don’t think he wants me to go away.”

Justin hugs him, wiping away the youngster’s tears. “To see you in pain is more difficult than dealing with this illness.”
“Can I play you my song?”
“I’ve been waiting for this.”
Christian gently grabs his father’s hand, leading him to the living room. He greets Joshua and Laura as they play on the floor. Christian clears their toys out of Justin’s way, and sits down at his piano, playing a soft piece he created.
Justin knows Christian is going to be his mini him. The girls still talk about his MC Donald’s Charity song. “Hey Christian would you like to try some more auditions?”
The boy nods his head. “I want to be a mouse!”
Justin grins, “The show was called The New Mickey Mouse Club. I wasn’t a mouse, Buddy, just worked for one.”
“I want to work for Mickey too!”
“How about we go see Mickey?”
“Where does Mickey live?”
“He lives in Orlando, Florida.” Justin takes out a map of the United States, and shows him. “Florida’s all the way down here, near the water.”
“When will we see him?”
“Mommy and I have to talk it over.”
Lindsey questions, “Justin are you sure you can handle the trip? You know you’re supposed to be low key?”
“I can use a wheelchair if it starts getting too demanding.”
“I’ll get one reserved. On top of that you’re going to need lots of breaks, and I mean it!”
“I will rest. I want us to have fun.”
“Alright, let’s do it!”
Christian overhears their conversation, and smiles. He whispers, “I’m going to see Mickey Mouse!”

Chp. 3

The plane ride goes well. They head to their hotel. The twins are napping on the ride.

Christian looks around excitedly, “Where’s Mickey, Daddy?”
“Mickey’s at Disney. The driver is going to bring us there.”
“Daddy you should take a nap.”
“I’ll be okay. I’ll rest when we get in our room.”
Justin keeps his promise. He’s quite tired from running all day.

Christian lies down beside his father.
Lindsey whispers to Christian, “Want to play with Joshua and Laura?”
“No Mommy, I want to be with Daddy.”
“Sweetheart you can’t always be with Daddy.”
“I’m not! I love Daddy. I love the twins. I love Mommy. Daddy I love first!”
Lindsey sighs, smiling, “You’re too cute!”
The twins say, “Daddy.”
Drifting off, Justin turns to his side, adoring hearing, ‘Daddy.’


Lindsey kisses Justin, after he awakes. “How are you doing?”
He mumbles, “I’m tired.”
“Do you feel up to going out?”
“I think I’ll be alright.”
“You should use the wheelchair. You can pace yourself. I’ll push the twins in the stroller. Christian can sit up there with you, since all you do is press a button.”
Justin laughs, “This motorized stuff is cool!”
She chuckles, "You have it easy. I wish they’d motorize these baby strollers.”
Justin laughs, “Where too?”


Christian squeals, “Mickey Mouse.
The youngster’s eyes light up, when he sees Mickey Mouse.
Mickey places his arm around Christian, “Hey there, what’s your name?”
“My name’s Christian. My Daddy worked for you. I want to be in the Mickey club too!”
Energetically the Mouse responds, “I remember him. Are you having fun?”
Christian nods his head. “I wish Daddy weren’t sick!”
Mickey gives him a hug. “Hopefully the Magic Kingdom will make him better. A long time ago, a friendly witch enchanted this place, after a noble prince completed a difficult task. The spell is to grant those that have been good with a chance to have or do something to make their life better.”
“I’ll be a good boy!”
Mickey gently rubs Christian’s back, “I think you are good boy. I have to go meet other girls and boys. How about you come to eat breakfast with me tomorrow, if you’re Mommy and Daddy doesn’t mind?”
Justin and Lindsey say it’s ok. Lindsey will bring him, because Justin requires extra sleep. She’ll take the twins with her.
They all go to bed early. The twins sleep in cribs, while Justin, Lindsey and Christian sleep on the big bed.
Christian awakes the next morning, He says quietly,” Mommy.”
She rubs her eyes, “What’s the matter?”
“We have breakfast with Mickey, Mommy.”
“You’re right, Sweetie. Let’s be quiet, so Daddy won’t wake up.”
He helps her get the twins ready. The twins look adorable in their Mickey ears. Laura is wearing a Minnie Mouse dress, while Joshua has on a cute pair of Mickey Mouse overalls, and baby blue tee, with Mickey in the middle.
The curly haired five years old is dressed in the New Mickey Mouse Club tee shirt from the Mickey Mouse Club, blue jeans and blue and white sneakers. He’s proud to be wearing his dad’s shirt, even though it’s big on him.
The twins’ wave bye, as their mom wheels them out of the room.
Christian holds onto the stroller. He looks back at his dad, before gently closing the door.



He loves every minute of breakfast with Mickey, but tells Mickey he wishes his Daddy is there with him. Tears stream down his face.
His younger siblings feel that something is wrong. The twins look at each other, and then at their half brother Christian. They try to sing, though they’re not quite old enough. They know when Daddy sings to him it makes him happy, so they try. They don’t understand why it doesn’t help, much. Mickey and his mom comfort him.

Mickey takes over, so Lindsey can care for the twins. He gets him to calm down, and clears him of his tears.
Christian sees someone in the distance……………………………………………..



Chp. 4

The figure comes into closer view. It gets up from a sitting position. Christian thinks he knows who it is, as more details come into his view.
Christian’s smile returns. “Daddy, you’re here!”
Justin grins tiredly, “I wouldn’t miss this Buddy. I’m sorry I had to sleep extra.”
Lindsey rushes over to Justin, and touches his head, seeing if he’s feverish. It’s hard for her to tell, since it’s hot. She’s concerned because he’s pale, and tired than usual.
“Its okay, Daddy, I just missed you. Can I go to see the doctor, later with you?”
“You can come, but you can’t be in the special room during the first treatment. You’ll see me afterward.”
Innocently he asks, “Does the treatment hurt?”
Justin answers Christian’s question, “Both things are painless. Painless means they don’t hurt. It’s like putting a band aide on a cut. It causes you no hurt.”
“Why do you need pain stuff, Daddy?”
“After the treatments done it makes me sick. It’s like when you eat lots of candy. It doesn’t make you sick to your belly at first, but later it causes your tummy to be upset.”
“Daddy when will you be better? My tummy only hurt a few hours.”

“I have a chronic illness. A chronic illness can last for several weeks, months or years. Your illness wasn’t long lasting. You had a viral infection. My disease you can’t catch.
“How did I catch it?”
“You catch it from someone who has the germ. Germs are very small, and we can’t see them. The cells in my body created the disease, by multiplying.
“What are cells?”

“Cells are kind of like germs, but good. We have white and red blood cells. The white ones try to fight off the germs.”
“Gosh, that’s a lot for a mouse to take in. I’m not used to that here in Toon Town. Toons don’t get sick, Christian, here. It’s always happy. Hopefully things will be better!”
“Mickey you told me that. How long is it?”
Mickey sighs,” It’s different for everybody, Christian. Let’s try not to worry about that. I bet your brother and sister want to eat, breakfast.”
The youngster giggles at Mickey’s jokes, and antics. Mickey manages to get the boy’s mind off of his father’s illness, and be a child, for a bit. Mickey gives the child a balloon, and his autograph. Christian asks if he can have his picture taken with Mickey, along side his twin siblings, Mickey agrees.

The twins sit on Mickey’s lap, while Christian stands next to Mickey, looking over Joshua, with one hand around Mickey, and the other around Joshua. His father sits on the other side, and his mom gets on her knees and places her arm behind Justin and Mickey’s head. Justin relaxes in the wheelchair. It saves a lot of his energy. He has good time with his family, and thanks God for giving him this opportunity.

Justin arrives at the hospital. He gets dressed in a hospital gown. He’s asked to lie down on a black colored table. He doesn’t get too rest much on the table, but will for his other treatment.

They place him in a hospital bed, and bring him to a different floor. The room is quiet, so Justin can sleep. Everyone agrees that sleep is best for him.
Christian waits for his dad to open his eyes. It’s upsetting to him to see his father sick, and not able to understand why. He wants to hug him, but can’t until Justin’s awake. He’s able to hold his dad’s hand.

Justin grasps his son’s hand, weakly. He barely opens his eyes, just long enough to make contact. He’s groggy from the pain medicine, and acts confused.

The doctor on call speaks with Justin’s wife, about a new type of treatment.

He explains, “Justin will stay in the hospital for a month. This procedure removes the tumor, and kills those cells, so it’s less likely it’ll come back. The unfortunate thing is he must be carefully watched for infection, and kept in an environment where he won’t be exposed to germs. He’ll be on antibiotics to help with infections. We should start noticing a difference two weeks into it.”
“I’ll have to talk it over with my husband and our son.”
Lindsey hears Christian crying, and rushes into the room.

Chapter 5

Lindsey quickly opens the door. Christian’s on the bed, and has his head buried in his father’s chest.
Justin glances at Lindsey, as he attempts to soothe his son. In a hush voice, Justin begs his wife, “Please don’t take him, away. I realize I require relaxation, but having him with me puts me at ease. Tonight I want to have a romantic dinner, for just me, and you.”
“Justin, I won’t take him. I understand that Christian and you have a special bond. It will be nice to spend some time with just you. Is there anything I can do for you?”
“Where are the twins?”
Christian lifts his head up, “Uncle Joey has the twins.”
“Do you want to see them, dear?”
“I’d like to see them. I apologize for not being able to be there for you and them, as much as I’d like to be.”
Lindsey sticks her hand over his arm. “It’s not your fault. When you’re feeling better, I want to discus with you about a new treatment that may cure the sickness. I’ll call Joey and have him bring over the twins. “
Justin’s eyelids shut. He goes into a deep slumber. He appears at peace, with his son near by.
Christian’s sound asleep from being emotionally drained. His mom turns his reddish face, so he won’t suffocate in the blankets. The child mumbles like his father has been known to when he sleeps.

Lindsey picks up her limp son, from his dad’s bed.
Justin awakes. He’s up to going to Disney. He slowly moves from a sitting position to standing position.

He sits down in his wheelchair. Lindsey places Christian gently in Justin’s arms. Justin holds him securely, so he won’t fall on the ground. Teardrops stream from his tender face. ”Why does this child have to endure this pain?”
His wife peers down at him, “I don’t know. It’s not good for him to be like this. It’s going to make him ill. He’s already hurting inside. He barely six, Christian shouldn’t be worrying.”
Justin runs his hands through his son’s curls.
“Hi Daddy, I love you.”
“I love you too! Did you have a good nap?”
Christian nods his head. “Everything’s great when I have Daddy. Daddy you have an angel.”
“I think you’re my angel, and Laura and Joshua!”
Christian’s eyes widen, “No Daddy, I saw a real one!”
He asks intently, “Tell me about the angel.”
“She’s pretty all in white. She says words not loud. She says Daddy will be okay.” He hugs Justin tightly.”
“I bet she’s right. Mommy and I are going to leave you and your siblings with Lance tonight, for a little while. We’re going to have a romantic evening, is that ok?”
“That’s okay. I love Lance. Lance is funny.”
“Lance’s daughter Madelyn is going to be here. Do you like her?”
“Girls are icky Daddy. I play to be nice.”
“Well that’s good that you play nicely. I want you on your best behavior. Try to help Lance with the twins, as much as you can.”
“I will Daddy.”
Justin dresses in a light blue button down denim short sleeve shirt, and a pair of off white kaki shorts, with white socks, and a pair of black dress up shoes,
Lindsey is in a colorful sundress, with a pair of pealed colored sandals. Her hair is braided.
They kiss the children goodbye, and head out to the restaurant.
Lance stares at Christian, “You’ve grown, since I last saw you. This is my daughter Madelyn. She’s around your age.”
The two children keep a distance from another, at first. They don’t even want to sit together on the same ride.
Lance has an idea. “How about you two go on the Dumbo ride together?”
The two agree, but with uncertainty in their faces. He makes sure they’re buckled in, before leaving them.
“My daddy says I have to be good to girls.”
“My daddy says I have to be good to boys.”
She smirks, “Every get into trouble?”
“I have to be good or my Daddy will be sicker.” He frowns. “You like being bad?”
“I don’t like being in trouble. Hey, you’re cute!”
Christian sighs, “I want Daddy and Mommy.”
“You can’t have them. This rides fun!”
“I don’t like it. I want it over.”
“Look at Mickey!”
Christian waves to Mickey, though Mickey can’t see him. He shouts, “Hey Mickey.” Mickey waves to him.
The two begin to get along after this. She holds his hand after the ride, and kisses him.
Christian doesn’t know how to react.
Lance grins, “Looks like you just got your fist kiss.”
Christian blushes, “Girls are icky. I’m sorry I call her icky!”
“I’m not mad at you.”
“When will Mommy and Daddy be back?”
“They’ll be back when it’s dark.”
“What are they doing?”
“They’re eating and talking.”
Christian’s quiet the rest of the night, even when Lance does funny things. He’s happy to be back with his parents, later that night. The twins are in the stroller. Christian is in his father’s arms, almost asleep. He waves goodbye to Madelyn.
She blows him a kiss.

Chp. 6

Justin and Lindsey talk with Christian next the morning. They explain to him, Justin, his father, may have surgery to remove his tumor. He’ll have to stay in the hospital for a month. He won’t be able to hold him for at least a week, because of germs.
Justin sniffles, “Grandma will take care of you, if I go through with this. You have to go to school, and learn.”
“I don’t want too! I want to be with you, Daddy!”
“I know you do, and I want nothing more than to be with you. Do you think I should go through with this?”
“I don’t know.”
“This may make me all better.”
“Mickey said you’d get well.”
“This might do it, but you have to be strong, and help me through it.”
“I’m a big boy. I’ll do it, Daddy.”
“You’ll have to assist Granny and Grandpa with Joshua and Laura.”
“I will, Daddy!”
They’re going to arrange it so Justin won’t have to spend a month in Florida. They’ll transport him to the Memphis hospital, when he’s stable enough.
Justin spends the remainder of the vacation doing as much as he can, with his family. They go boating, play golf, visit Blizzard Beach one of the water parks, and explore Epcot.
Christian likes Epcot. He likes all the rides they have, and seeing how different cultures dress. His dad buys him a pretend passport. Every country he goes to he asks them to sign it. He wears the International Mickey pin that comes with it.
They return home to Millington, Tennessee. Melancholy surrounds the entire family, as they prepare for the months ahead. Two weeks later Justin and Lindsey will be going back to Orlando. Each day passes by before they know it. Every minute the family’s together.
Christian hides his head in his grandma’s shirt, for a moment. He turns in his father’s direction. Tears slide down his precious face, “Bye Daddy.” He runs into Justin’s arms.
Justin picks up the bleary-eyed boy, and rubs his back softly. “You’ll have fun with your grandparents. I’m sorry I have to be away.”
Laura and Joshua toddle over to him, far too young to know what’s going on.
Christian kisses his mom. “Mommy I love you.”
Lindsey wipes away the child’s tears, “We’ll see you guys later, Sweetheart. I promise I‘ll call every night.”


Justin asks that no one bother them, unless there is an emergency. The man at the desk respects his request. Fans are everywhere and want a piece of Justin. He appreciates their undying support, and tells them so. He explains,” Thanks for the cards and well wishes. I am honored that my fans not only enjoy my music, but are concerned about my well-being. It brings me joy in a time when obstacles come to me and the ones I cherish, most. I hope that al goes well, and I’ll be home soon, with my family. Please don’t come to my hotel expecting me to sign an autograph or have your picture taken with me. I am here for treatment. I promise to sign for you all when I return to work. I’m sorry you may have come all this way. I won’t say I don’t owe anything to my fans, because that is untrue. You did get me where I am, and I thank you for that. I have a life outside of my career, and need time to myself, and with my family.”
Justin knows his mom will take care of them, making him less uneasy. He leans his head on his wife’s shoulder, at the hotel. He faces her with tears in his baby blue eyes. His hands tremble as he sets them on her waist. His heart races, as his lips touch hers tenderly.
She sighs heavily, as tears fall off her cheeks. Lindsey rocks him back and forth. She doesn’t want the night to end, because tomorrow he’ll be admitted to the hospital.
She lies on the bed with him, watching him closely. She calls home to speak to Christian, and the two younger children.
The boy is hysterical, and she wishes she could comfort him. She can’t wait to go back home, to be with them, but knows Justin is in great need of loving support, right now. She all most doesn’t want them to talk, because it’s hard on them being apart.
Christian chats with his dad for about an hour. He tells him about school, what silly antics Joshua and Laura are up to, and that he’s taking good care of Dasher, his Dalmatian.
“I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Buddy, when I’m at the hospital.”
“Okay bye Daddy.”


The next day, Justin and Lindsey walk upon the shoreline, before heading to the hospital. They place a blanket on the white sand. This is Justin’s idea. Justin may be quite ill but it doesn’t stop him for scheming things.
“Why do you have that CD player Justin?”
He pops in a CD. “I just wanted one more special moment together.”
“Justin you didn’t have to do this. You should be relaxing.”
“I should be, but life is short, and I think we deserve to have some fun. Life shouldn’t be this complicated. I count my blessings though, I comprehend our lives could be a lot worse.”

Chapter 7

Justin glances around his hospital room. The room is white. He watches people pass by from his hospital bed. He’s apprehensive about the operation. Justin doesn’t know what to expect.
His wife is by his side. She calls home to check up on Christian and the twins. They’re all doing fine. She hands over the phone to Justin so Christian can talk to him.
“Hey there, Christian, how are you?”
“I’m sad. I miss you!
“I miss you too. How’s Dasher?”
“Dasher’s good. Grandma took me and him for a walk.”
“That’s good.”
“Daddy, when will they make you sleepy?”
“The doctor will make me sleepy, latter.”
“How they make you sleepy?”
“The doctor gives me medicine through an IV, and then I breathe into a plastic mask.”
“Daddy is the mask for Halloween?”
“This mask is only for hospitals to use. It puts me to sleep, so I won’t feel anything.”
“When will you be home?”
“I’ll be home in a few weeks. I’m going to have to rest, a lot.”
“I know you need naps.”
Justin sighs, and lifts up his shirt.
“Are you okay, Daddy?”
“The doctor’s pressing on my stomach, and it hurts, a bit.”
“I want to kiss it, and make it better.”
“It’ll be alright. How are Laura and Joshua?”
“Laura dumps her blocks all over. I pick up them. Joshua does it too. Grandma says I did that too! Did I do it, Daddy?”
Justin smiles, “When you were that age you did do that. It’s not bad.”
Justin’s mom says, “Christian it’s time to go to school.”
Justin sighs, “I guess we have to say goodbye, for now.”
Christian begins to cry, “No Daddy!”
“I’m really sorry, but we have too.”
Justin’s mom picks up the phone, “He’ll be alright. I don’t want you worrying about him. I’ll see you when you return to Memphis, Baby. You’re always in my prayers.”
“Thanks Mom, I’ll be thinking of you.”
“I’m going to let you go you seem tired. You should get rest before your operation. I’ll speak to Lindsey, later, about your progress.”
Justin hears his son’s and daughter in the background. They say in unison “Bye Daddy.”
“Bye guys, I love you!”

Chp. 8

Justin’s tired from his pain medication. A nurse puts up the bed rails, as he drifts to sleep. Justin turns to the side and reaches out his hand. He mouths, “Christian.”
The nurse quietly asks Lindsey, “whose Christian?”
“Christian’s my step son. The two are usually never apart.”
The nurse snaps, “We’ll be taking him, shortly.”
Justin awakes,” What’s going on?”
The nurse stares at him for a second, “Nothing’s going on. We’ll be taking you soon.”
“Lindsey, where am I going?”
“You’re going to have your surgery.”
“You’re *NSYNC aren’t you?”
“Where’s the sink?”
She laughs, “He’s quite out of it. This is fun.”
Lindsey wants to smack her, “Don’t fool with him, it’s not right. What has he done to you?”
“What are you going to do about it?”
“Just do your job. My husband’s extremely ill and needs to get well. He has three children at home, one of which is in tears.”
“I don’t care. He’s a millionaire, and probably could careless about that crying kid. He has everything, and can get what he wants. He’s had it good for too long, now it’s time for him to cry.”
“He can’t have everything he wants; if he could, he wouldn’t be here. I’ve never seen a man more dedicated to his family. He’s sacrificed so much for us. The minute he got his son back, touring was cut out for the most part. H couldn’t stand being away from that child.”
Lindsey would love to take him out of the hospital, but she doesn’t want to cause him harm. Lindsey turns in his direction. She rushes over to Justin. “Give him oxygen. Don’t you see he can’t breathe? He can’t go under like this. His oxygen level is dangerously low.”
Lindsey grabs Justin hand, and feels a low heart rate. It’s becoming fainter. She begins to pray.

Tears fill her eyes, as medical people burst into the room. She complains to the staff about the nurse’s rude behavior, and it almost cost her husband his life. She hopes the crude woman will get fired, as she watches them work on him,
They get him stable, after several seconds. They’ve placed him on an in abated, to assist with breathing.

Justin’s heavily medicated, as they perform surgery. They manage to remove the tumor and cells around it. They start him on antibiotics, and move him to a room, where he won’t be exposed to large amounts of germs.
Lindsey notices, after a few days, he has better color, than before.
Justin finally opens his eyes, only briefly. It’s been a long three days. The doctors have removed the breathing tube.
On the forth day, Justin’s alert, and wants to speak to Christian. The doctor allows him to, under the condition that it be short. Justin agrees.
“Daddy, why couldn’t you talk?”
“I had a tube in, and was sleeping.”
Justin explains to him that something unexpected happened, and that caused him problems. “I’m really tired, Christian. Can we talk again tomorrow?”
You go take your nap, Daddy. I’ll be here when you awake.”
Justin drowsily replies, “Thanks. I’ll see you soon.” He hangs up the phone, closing his eyes. “Bye Christian.”
Lindsey stays close bye, Justin. She goes back and forth between the hotel and the hospital. The phone rings. It’s Justin’s mom.
“You sound upset, what’s wrong?”
“It’s Christian.”
“Where is he? Is he alright?”
“Jake took him.”

Chapter 9

“Is he alright?”
“He was out in the yard playing with his dog. We were keeping a close eye on him. All of a sudden, a car pulled up. A tall, bulk man stepped out of his blue pick up truck. He appeared very rugged, unshaved, and dirty from head to toe. He walked across the lawn. I asked him what is purpose was to be on our property. He made no comment and continued walking towards Christian, who was teaching Dasher a trick, his grandfather showed him. Christian stepped further back from him, after getting a glimpse of him. Christian came running to me, but he kept came closer. The youngster hid behind me, until he realized Dasher was still within reaching distance of Jake. Jake snatched the dog. Christian immediately begins to cry. He rushes to Dasher, though I try to stop him, and Jake grabs him by the arm. I couldn’t keep up with Christian he was too fast. I ran inside and called the police, but they haven’t located him, yet.”
“This is terrible. Where are the other two?”
“The twins have been inside all day.”
“How can I tell Justin his son’s been kidnapped?
“I haven’t the slightest idea how to tell him. Justin will be absolutely crushed. As you know, Christian is his world. I don’t think we should tell him. He’s not well enough. How’s he doing?”
“One minute he knows what’s going on and the next he doesn’t remember. The doctor says it’s the high doses of pain medication, combined with the medicine they used while he was on the incubator. He has a lot more color. Justin’s sleeping less. He is making minor improvements. The doctor tells me they can transport him hopefully next week, to Memphis. I ought to be going back to the hospital calling if you hear anything, about our son.”
“I will.”
Back in Memphis, a five-year-old screams loudly! He hits and kicks Jake.
”I’ll kill that dog boy, if you don’t mind me, and you’ll be next!”
He pouts, “You’re not my Daddy.”
In the small filthy apartment building, Jake shoves Christian into a white wall. The boy sobs, as he hears his dog yelp. Christian sees that the window is broken. “I’m sorry Jake.”
“Well that’s more like it. Here’s a blanket it gets cold at night.” Jake leaves the boy alone, with his dog. Christian waits until its dark, and manages to get himself, and his dog outside. He can barely see because it’s so dark. He has no idea where he is, at first. He hides behind objects, so people won’t see him. He recalls the games he played with Jake when he was two.
Christian goal is to find a telephone to get in touch with his grandparents, and keep a watch out for Jake. He’s tired, cold, and sore form getting pushed into the wall. The side of his face is bruised.
“Dasher protects me, from Jake. I’m sleepy.” He lies against his dog, who gives him warmth, and drifts off to sleep

Chapter 10

Lindsey arrives at the hospital, and goes up to the floor her husband’s on. She goes down the long hallway, after getting off the elevator. She passes the nurses, and goes to check on Justin.
Justin’s still unable to have people go in his room, unless they have masks on, and are sterilized. He sees people from the glass window, when he’s awake. He’s not alert, because they just gave him medicine. He waves to Lindsey. “I have to go see our babies, in the nursery.”
The nurse smiles, “You’ll see them, later. Can you take some nice deep breaths in and out? That’s it. Who do you see through the window?”
“I see Lindsey. She’s pretty. She should be with the twins. When are we going, is it to see Joshua and Laura? I really want to see them.”
“You’ll see them, but not now. You’re going to have a scan. We’re going to give you good air through this mask, so you don’t get germs.”

The staff brings Justin for his scan. He’s sound asleep, before they get him, there. He’s out all through the entire test, and the night.


Lindsey talks with the doctor the next morning. “Is he stable, enough to go back to Tennessee?”
“He’s getting there. He’s a fighter. Justin’s almost able to go into a regular room.”
“I need to tell him something about our son, Christian. He was kidnapped.”
“It’d be best to not tell him, anything. It could affect his outcome.” He turns to his side, peering around after he hears a noise. “I’m sorry he was taken, and I hope for your sake he’s found, and safe.”


Justin glances at one of his nurses, groggily. “Can I use the phone?”
“Who are you going to call?”
“I want to talk to Christian.”
“Christian’s not there, Justin.”
“He must be at school.”
“No he’s not at school.”
“He’s with dad.”
“No, he’s been taken. Stop, he’s not with family!”
“Why isn’t he?”
“Someone took him.”
Justin doesn’t understand. He just desires to chat with his little boy. “I have to find him.” He attempts sitting up, but can’t balance himself. “I move too much and feel like waves are trying to knock me over.”
The nurse loves every moment of it.
Unlike last time, Justin isn’t having it. He hits the help button, near his bed, which alerts the doctor. His nurse exits, and is out of sight before his doctor arrives.
The doctor isn’t pleased that the nurse told Justin about his son missing. He fires her, apologizing for the incident that occurred before. She’s not allowed anywhere near him. Criminal charges are filed against her.
Justin has a tube in his nose that sends him oxygen. He doesn’t like the tube, and grabs at it. The doctor relaxes Justin’s muscles.

The medication impairs his thinking. Justin’s getting worse. The doctor corrects the problem, which was caused by giving Justin the wrong medicine. Only one person could be to blame. Justin’s breathing without help, sleeping, peacefully.
Lindsey’s allowed to be with him, finally. She touches his face, soothingly. Justin reminds her of Christian. She prays that Christian will be back, safe soon

Chapter 11

Christian opens his eyes. “Mommy, Daddy I want you!”
Dasher licks his cheek affectionately.
“I love you Dasher. We have to get back to Granny. I hope she’s not mad.” He brushes off the dirt, as he stands up. His clothes are muddy from the damp ground. Christian’s chilly from the wet surface. His chin, entire arm, and from the chest down hurt from the blow. The boy’s hands are scratched from the broken glass. Dasher has minor cuts, as well. Like his father, he doesn’t complain about his pains, until they become severe.
Dasher leads the way. His nose stays close to the ground, as if he’s on a trail. The dog stops, looking up at the lost child. He sticks his head down and goes on his way.
Christian has no concept of where they’ll end up. He’s not good with landmarks, yet. He recognizes only a few places.
Christian stops at a general store. He acts like most kids do in a store, when they want something; ask someone if they can have it.
The storeowner gives him a glare, “No money no candy!”
Christian reaches into his jeans. He searches for any coins he may have, and puts them up on the counter.”
“I’m sorry this isn’t enough. Where are your parents?”
“They’re in Florida.”
“I guess you’re out of luck.”
The man stares at the boy, looking over his clothing, and facial expressions. “You’re Timberlake’s boy. Here you go take the candy. I don’t want to offend your father.”
“Thank you.” Christian leaves the penny and nickel on the counter. He exits the store with his candy bar. “I don’t eat candy in the morning.” He opens up the gooey Carmel candy bar. Chocolate covers his face and fingers. “I’m sticky, icky.” He rinses his hands off in a near by fountain, and his mouth. His clothes soak up the water, from him missing his lips. He finds an unoccupied children’s rocking chair and sits down, in it, with Dasher! “I reckon Jakes out there.”
Christian sees Jake from a distance. Jake is on Christian’s heals. Christian takes off with Dasher, through the narrow street.
Jake says from his vehicle, “I’ll get you boy, and your dog.”
He runs out into the street, just as a car is coming.
“No get back here. He watches as a passing car swerves in front of the boy, and his dog. Christian falls. The dog knows Jake is dangerous, so he pulls the boy out of further harm. He drags Christian towards the sidewalk. Dasher lay next to Christian to keep him warm, until someone gets there.
Jake runs out of his car into the roadway, frantically, acting like he cares.
Dasher becomes protective of the boy and growls, as Jake gets closer.
A person on the street recognizes him, and says, “Get away from that boy.” She contacts the police, but they don’t arrive in time.
The woman’s main concern is the frightened child. He isn’t moving, as she stays with him on the road.
The EMT’s take him to the hospital. They’re worried about him having internal injuries. They finally get him to talk, a little.
The woman doctor talks to him softly. She remembers him from when his father was admitted. She gives him pain medicine for his arm, and chest. The medicine helps keep him still. She gently rocks him in a rocking chair, as a nurse calls the boy’s home.
“Grandma’s coming, Christian.”
“Where’s Daddy?”
“He’ll be coming to the hospital, in a few days. You’ll be out by then.”
Christian’s grandmother comes to be with him. She takes the place of the doctor in the rocking chair. The doctor gives her a heated blanket to cover him with. “Thank you. When can I take him home?”
“We’d like him to stay over night, just for observation. Have you contacted his parents?”
“I’ve talked with his mom, who is worried about him. His father isn’t capable of knowing what’s going on, at this point.” Christian falls asleep in his grandmother’s arms.
While the boy sleeps, his grandfather takes Dasher home.
She places her grandson in his hospital bed, so he can sleep, better.
Christian’s up playing with toys by evening. He’s a lot more talkative, than earlier. Aside from bruises and a few small cuts, he seems to be fine. He doesn’t complain about his pains, but limits his activities because of it.
The doctor recommends giving him the children’s pain medication, to assist with getting him to sleep.
His grandmother rocks him in the rocking chair.
Christian peers into her eyes, “Granny I miss Daddy. I want to hear Daddy.”
His grandmother sighs, “How about one of Daddy’s song?”
Christian smiles sleepily, “Cry.”
She calls up her husband, and has him play “Cry” for Christian.
As Christian falls asleep he states, “I love you Daddy.”
Back in Florida, Justin’s eyes open. He turns to his wife, who’s been crying. “Where’s Christian, and where am I?”

Chp. 12

Lindsey wipes the tears away from her eyes. “Christian’s in the Memphis Hospital. He almost was hit by a car, trying to escape Jake. He should be fine, aside from a few not threatening injuries. He’s more traumatized, than anything.”
“I should be with him.”
“Justin, your mom is taking good care of him. You require rest. You’ll be seeing him in a few days.”
“I’m in Memphis, now.”
“Sweetheart, you’re in Florida. We flew here for your operation.”
“Did we fly like the birds?”
“No we didn’t. We did have wings, though.”
“Only angels have wings. They’re pretty like you.”
She blushes, “Thanks Sweetheart. Have you seen any angels, lately?”
He points to up in the sky. “She’s looking over me.”
“I’m glad your little sister is watching over you. Do you want me to stay with you tonight?”
Justin shakes his head. “Did I already have my surgery?”
“You had your operation, five days ago. Your stomach is healing.”
“I’m sorry my memory’s fuzzy.”
“Its ok, Justin. You can’t help it.”
“You don’t deserve this pain. I love you, Lindsey.” Justin closes his eyes.


A cheerful little boy sits up in his hospital bed. “Granny, can I go home?”
“Later you can go home, Christian.”
“I miss Laura and Joshua, but mostly Daddy.”
“I know you do, Baby. Are you still afraid of Jake?”
“No, he can’t hurt me anymore.”
“Are you sure you’re not scared?”
“He’s with Mommy.”
“Your Mommy’s in Florida, Darling.”
“No he’s not with my new Mommy.”
“That’s a nice place to be.”
“God must be mad. Jake was bad, Granny.”
“He might be, but God is forgiving.”
“Why does he forgive?”
“Everyone makes mistakes. We don’t know why Jake did what he did. Only god knows.”
“Why does God want bad people?”
“I don’t think he wants bad people, Christian. God would probably love to see a peaceful world, but all humans have faults. It’s difficult to get along with everyone and except them for who they are.”
“Can we call Daddy? He’s good!”
“It’s a bit early. Let’s wait, ok?”
“Okay Grandma, just as long as I hear Daddy.”

Chapter 13

Justin’s ready for his ride home. His wife can’t go with him, which is upsetting to him. He has a mask on his face, so he’ll on be exposed to good air. Justin’s covered with heated blankets to keep him warm.
“Bye Lindsey.”
“Bye Justin, I’ll see you in Memphis. You have a good ride.”
The nurse staff helps board Justin onto the plane, making sure he’s comfortable.
Justin sleeps most of the ride.

He’s awakened by the sound of voices in his hospital room. He gags on the tube running from his nose to the back of his throat into his stomach.

His doctor gently pats his hand, “This tube is going to assist you with eating over the next few days.”

Christian stands next to his father’s bedside, gazing into his eyes. “Hi Daddy, I missed you.”
Justin grins, “I love you too!”
“Daddy is sleeping, Mommy!”
“He’s gong to need, a lot of sleep.”

Two weeks later, Justin sits in a wheelchair. He’s slowly becoming stronger. He spends a lot of time, working on his music, and showing Christian how to play, better.
“Daddy I made a new song for you.”
“What’s it called?”
“It’s called” Keys.”
“I can’t wait to hear it.”
Justin listens to the soft ballad sounding music. It reminds him of his heart-felt song, “Never Again.” It’s a moving piece, from such a young boy. He wipes away the tears. “That is beautiful.”
“Thanks Daddy.”
“You’re welcome. How long have you been working on it?”
“I worked a long time.”
“You’re very talented.”
The phone rings, “I Mr. Timberlake there?”
“This is Mr. Timberlake. What can I do for you?”

Chp. 14.

“Mr. Timberlake we want you to come down to the hospital. We need you to confirm that the man we have Jake Underwood, the one that was after your son.”
“Is he in custody, now?”
“The man we have is dead, Mr. Timberlake. He was just brought to the morgue. He has no identification, but fits the woman’s description, that was with your son, at the time of the criminals vanishing act.”
“How did he die?”
“He passed away in an automobile crash. A friend of his, who won’t tell us his name says he over drank, and got behind the wheel. He hit another car, before going into a tree.”
“How is the other family doing?”
“The youngest rider Ritchie has been hospitalized. I can’t give you many details, due to laws. The mother and father are with their son.”
Lindsey, I have to get to the hospital. I’ll explain everything when I get home.”
“Good luck Justin.”
Justin kisses Lindsey, and wheels himself out of the house to his car. He stands up carefully, and opens the car door.


Chapter 15

He arrives at the hospital and goes down to the morgue. Chills run down his spine. He wheels himself up to the desk. “I’m here to see if I recognize a man they brought here, only a few hours, ago.”
“Come with Me Mr. Timberlake.”
Justin follows him into a large, cool room, with several bodies covered with blankets. His heart aches for all the families that have lost a loved one. He hears a slight whimper, as he turns his wheelchair toward a large surface that’s off the ground. A woman in her fifties is bent down beside the body.
Justin wheels up beside her.
The man pulls the white sheet up. “Is this the man?”
Justin sighs heavily, “Yes. Can we cover him?”
The man places the blanket back over Jake’s head. Justin gently places his hand on the woman’s shoulder.
The mourner sniffles looking up at him. “You must be Justin. I’m Jake’s mom.”
“I’m deeply sorry for your loss, Miss, though he caused my family great pain.”
“It wasn’t your fault, and you shouldn’t be sorry. Jake was an alcoholic, and wouldn’t get help, no matter how many times we told him to. He’s been tried accounts of abusing woman, and children. As a mother, I’m angry that it couldn’t have been a different scenario. He lied to me have chance he had. I never knew the innocent people he did harm to. He took off one day, without a trace. He never was caught up until, now. I am deeply saddened that I’ve lost my only son, despite what he has done.”
“No one wins in this situation. At least my son feels safe, not. I’m unsure of the damage that was caused mentally to him. If you need any support I’ll be glad to talk with you.”
Justin stays with her for quite some time. The two cry together about their losses, and hope for a more prosperous future.

He returns home and explains to Lindsey what has happened.
Lindsey rubs his back. “It’s all over, now. That’s the main part, and Christian’s safe.”
A smile comes to his face, as Christian enters the room. Justin rests his head on the padding. He opens up his arms, to give his son a hug. He gets out of the wheelchair and walks carefully to his bed. Lindsey props his head on top of some fluffy pillows. She sticks the twins up there with him for their nap.
Christian sits off to the side in a chair.
“Don’t you want to be up here, Buddy?”
“I love you Daddy. The twins need Daddy time!”
“If you want you can join!”
“No thanks, Daddy. I just watch.”
“I guess you’re growing up, not wanting to be with me all the time.”
Christian climbs up on to the bed, “No way! I’m a big boy, but I love Daddy, all the time!”
The twins laugh at their big brother.
Justin allows Christian to hold Joshua, while he takes after Laura. Christian enjoyed being the big brother. He watches his younger brother fall asleep, in his arms!

“I never would’ve expected it to end this way. The trails and tribulations we’ve faced over the past year. It’s been an incredible journey, another chapter to put to rest. My condolences go out to all the people that were affected by Jake’s wrong doings. I keep them in my prayers. I pray for his mother, as well. I can’t even fathom losing the child you raised.”
“This disease has been devastating on many levels. I am thankful that I am on the road to recovery. I am grateful that I’ve had the love and support of family, and friends.”
Christian closes his father’s journal. He is now 13 years old. Eight years have passed by. Christian is home schooled, now. It’s best for him, because of music career. He hasn’t reached his father’s status, but has the potential too. He gives with all his heart, no matter what he does! His solo album is out, and people love it. His parents won’t let him tour much, because of his tender age. He doesn’t seem to mind. He’s young, and unsure if being a performer most of his life is what he wants to do. He loves most aspects of the business, aside from the financial stuff.
Joshua runs into the room, “Watchya doin, Bro?”
“Shh……be quiet, Dad’s sleeping.”
“What’s that book?”
“It’s Dad’s journal. He writes entrees a few times a week. He’s been doing it since I was five.”
“Does Daddy mention heaven?”
“He talks about heaven briefly.”
“Writing’s boring. Why doesn’t Daddy skateboard, instead?”
“Josh, skateboarding is dangerous. Writing helps Dad get out his feelings.”
“Skate boarding’s exciting.”
Christian crosses his hands in front of his chest, “Never mind.”
“You’re no fun. I’m going to watch my skateboarding tapes.”
Christian sits patiently in the chair, looking over music books, while his father sleeps. He pays close attention to where the notes are on the keyboard, and the amount of beats for each measure.
His father is exhausted from the musical tour that just ended.
Christian’s concerned it’s too much for him to handle. He tries his hardest to make his return not stressful, by keeping his siblings content and avoiding arguments with them.
Laura enters the room. Her blue eyes sparkle, as she twirls her golden curls. She makes her way to Christian, who’s heavily into his music books, and lap top computer. “Is Daddy still sleeping?”
“Yes, Dad’s asleep. We have to be quiet.”
“Where’s Mommy?”
“She’s at work.”
“What are you doing?”
“I’m working on my music.”
“I love music!”
“I do too. It’s fun!’
“Daddy needs to get up!”
“He will.”
She hugs Christian, “You’re the best big brother, ever.”
“Thanks, and you’re the best little sister, I know.”
Justin opens his eyes. “I’m up now, Baby Girl.”


Christian waits for Laura to have time with dad. She’s younger and doesn’t understand, as much as he does. Christian feels bad that his sister doesn’t get as much time with their father, because she’s not at a good age to travel. He recalls when he was that age he only got to go on holidays, because of school.
“What’s wrong, Christian?”
You work too hard!”
“I’ll be ok. Don’t worry, so much.”
“I love you. I don’t want to see you sick, again!”
“I’m being careful about that. I appreciate your love, and support.”
“Dad, can I get you anything?”
“I’m fine. Who’s that song about?”
Christian stutters, “It’s about…”
Joshua, shouts, “It’s about her!” He was standing next to the door, ease dropping.
Justin scolds him, “Josh that wasn’t nice. Let Christian tell me himself.”
“Dad, he’s annoying. He doesn’t understand why music’s so great.”
“He’s young, and though music’s wonderful for us, other activities are better for him. Let him explore, like Mom and me have with you. What’s your song about?”
“I’m not saying with him here. He’ll tell the whole world.”
“Josh, go do your schoolwork. Your brother and I have to talk.” Josh dashes out of the room.
“You don’t have to tell me who it’s about if you don’t want too.”
“I’ll tell you everything, Dad. I…...”


Lindsey walks into the room. She kisses Justin on the cheek, then Christian. She can tell Christian’s upset. She winks at the teen, and leaves him with his father.
“Tell me before there’s anymore distractions.”
“I have a girl I like.”
“That’s great. How old is she?”
“She’s my age.”
“What’s her name?”
“Destiny,” he blushes.
“That’s a very pretty name.”
“She’s gorgeous, Dad. She has beauty inside and out. We’ve been hanging out since the beginning of the school year. She thinks it’s cool I home school. She loves playing basketball, just like me.”
“I guess you’re past the girls are icky.”
“I don’t know why I said that.”
“You were young. You’ll change your mind lots of times, as you grow up.”
Christian realizes his father’s right, though he doesn’t want to admit it. “Dad, I think you’re sick.”
Justin yawns, “I’m alright, and I just require rest.” Christian exits.
Justin looks over his journal and writes a bit. He closes his eyes.

Chp. 16

One month later, Christian holds his father’s hand, as he peers into Christian’s eyes groggy. “How’d the test go?”
“It wasn’t bad, from what I remember.”
“How are you feeling?”
“I’m tired, like I just ran a marathon Where’s Joshua and Laura?”
“Josh is sitting at home playing video games. Mom didn’t want him coming because he is sneezing. Laura’s with mom in the gift shop.”
“That’s good. Laura’s my angel.”
“Dad, she’s your daughter.”
Lindsey overhears the conversation, and explains to Christian that Justin had a sister named Laura that died shortly after birth.
“That’s so sad, Mom.”
“It’s hard on him at times. Every time he’s sedated he seems to bring her up.”
“I think Dad sees her.”
Christian’s cell rings. He excuses himself from the room. “You’re what?”
Destiny sighs, “I’m pregnant.”
“I didn’t do it!”
“I know you didn’t. It was a big mistake. I’m sorry Christian about having unprotected sex!”
“You cheated on me. I thought we had something special.”
Destiny’s father Jack picks up her cell, “Admit it that you got her pregnant!”
“I didn’t get her pregnant. I didn’t even know she was up until a few minutes ago. I’ve never had sex!”
“It’s all around town that you’re the one!”
“Those are lies. I wouldn’t that.”
“Destiny said it herself.”
“Well there’s one way to prove I’m not the one.”
“I know you’re the one, and this blood work will prove it. You’re upset because you don’t want to have a black child.”
“I’m not racial Sir. I haven’t got a clue as to what’ going on.”
The father slams the phone down on the bed. Destiny picks t up, “Christian are you still there?”
Christian doesn’t answer. He sticks the phone back in his pocket, and walks back to his father’s room. He doesn’t mention what happened to his mom or to his dad.
Justin sleepily asks, “What’s wrong?”
Christian hesitates, “I’m in trouble.”
He questions, “What happened?”
“I’m being accused of getting Destiny pregnant.”
Justin’s mouth widens, “If you say you didn’t I believe you.”
“Her father tells me I don’t want to accept the baby because I’m a different race. What am I going to do?”
“I’ll help you through it, all. After you have the blood test, everything will calm down.”
“I never want to speak to her again!”


The days tend to drag on. Christian won’t go outside in fear of being ridiculed. Local teens point and laugh at him, because they feel he’s a coward for not staying with his pregnant girlfriend. They don’t look at the facts, that he isn’t the father. Christian uses the time to express himself through music. Eventually things die down, but he’s careful on when to go out, in fear of getting attacked.
He hears a knock at the door. He pulls her inside quickly. “You shouldn’t be here.”
Destiny sighs, “I had to come. I miss you so much.” She stays for a while, and the two chat.
Christian brings her home. She lives in a run down area. He watches behind his back, at every little noise. He makes it home safely. He’s uncertain if he truly doesn’t want to see her again. Everything’s so confusing.
He returns to his father, who has the key to his heart, and knew how to make times better. Christian gives his father a big hug. It’s almost if he forgets his problems when he sees his dad’s face.
His dad accepted it, smiling. Justin’s happy that he brings his son happiness. He prays that he can do same in the future, as well.

No comments: